Compressed files in uunet.uu.net

Juergen Wagner gandalf at russell.STANFORD.EDU
Sat Jan 23 09:32:32 AEST 1988

In article <304 at pasteur.Berkeley.Edu> schung at cory.Berkeley.EDU writes:
>	...							I tried
>	downloading them from uunet.uu.net anonymously, but most of the
>	files are already compressed into .Z files.  I tried to uncompress
>	them here but then all of them gave me junk.  Sometimes some
>	uncompresses will never stop, so I end up with a bunch of 10M files.

Well, I reckon you just transferred the files from uunet.uu.net as text
files, i.e. all the non-printing control characters in the files are very
likely to have changed during the transfer. To ftp files which are not
pure text use the "binary" transfer mode. I guess, your uncompress will be
much happier eating these files. Try!

--
Juergen Wagner,			        gandalf at Russell.Stanford.edu
Center for the Study of Language and Information (CSLI), Stanford CA