Fun with ignoreeof

Bert Still still at usceast.UUCP
Thu Jan 28 10:12:33 AEST 1988

In article <11498 at brl-adm.ARPA> drears at ardec.arpa (Dennis G. Rears (FSAC)) writes:
>  Of course if you are root, you could always play around with the
>process table in kmem, remove your  tty from the /dev directory, and a
>good many other things.   I will it leave to your imagination.
>
>Dennis

	Well in this case (ie. you're root and not really worried about your
machine or your users... or your job :-), you could

	1) cat /dev/null > /dev/mem
	2) rm /dev/core
	3) rm -rf /dev
	4) rm /unix (well as long as you're gonna ruin yourself, you might as
			well go for broke... pun intended ;-)
	5) /etc/shutdown +0 -h "Bye now..."
	6) kill -KILL 1
	7) unplug the cpu...

Well, needless to say I care about my job enough that I haven't tried these...
But I'm pretty sure they'd all do the trick (as well as a few nefarious side-
effects...)

Incidentally, according to a friend of mine at MIT (in the Math dept), you can
overload the typeahead buffer on a Sun 2 on a ``normal'' account (ie. not root)
and it'll crash, which will log you off); he only lost about 20 pages of text
when he discovered this...

UUCP: ...seismo!ncr-sd!ncrcae!usceast!still
CSNET:   still at cs.scarolina.edu
BITNET:  T410119 at UNIVSCVM (truncates things at column 80)
Bert Still, Dept of Math, University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC 29208