Packet size & number of windows in UUCP

Alen Shapiro alen at cogen.UUCP
Sat Jan 30 05:32:16 AEST 1988

In article <12263 at orchid.waterloo.edu> egisin at orchid.waterloo.edu (Eric Gisin) writes:
>In article <44231 at beno.seismo.CSS.GOV>, rick at seismo.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) writes:
>> So, yes, to negotiate the packet size you would have to do
>> a new protocol. If you're going to do that, you might as
>> well implement something like the zmodem protocol. (Its been
>> on my todo list for over 2 years)
>
>What's the advantage of the zmodem protocol?
>I have Chesson's paper on uucp but am not familiar with zmodem.

Sorry to jump into the middle of this (our net access has been out of
sorts for a bit) so I hope this is relevant.

ukc (University of Kent U.K.) have had a version of uucp (I believe it
is a p.d. version) that one can specify both packet-size and # of windows
in the L.sys file. By tuning these fields I've been able to get our
2400baud tx light to remain on pretty steadily (with a regular rx ack
flash that sometimes skips a beat but so what cos when the window param
is set correctly, tx remains on).

I made a small mod to the L.sys language that allows for a timeout
time specification so now it even queues connects over gandalf-like
concentrators that are fairly busy (it sits in the queue like a user
when no connect lines are free).

If anyone would like details, mail me direct and I'll see a) if ukc
have a more up-to-date version (mine is a coupla years old) and b)
if ukc would mind me sending copies.

It's the best thing since sliced chips

--alen the Lisa slayer (it's a long story)

ps anyone at ukc wanna comment?

.....seismo!esosun!cogen!alen