dial in / out on same line

Rob Warnock rpw3 at amdcad.AMD.COM
Thu Jan 28 21:26:07 AEST 1988

Just another voice supporting the "two devices" view. I also am/was a
user/designer of the Fortune box, like Dave Yost, and I have to say the
"minor+128" dialout hack works VERY cleanly. NO changes to getty/cu/uucp,
etc. Getty hangs on /dev/ttyd* and uucp/cu talks to /dev/cul*. No need for
any *_EXCL stuff, since the two minor devices (x and x+128) are exclusive
against each other you don't need to make either exclusive against itself.
(E.g., can do "stty >/dev/culX" to see what went wrong with a uucp.)

Rob Warnock
Systems Architecture Consultant

UUCP:	  {amdcad,fortune,sun,attmail}!redwood!rpw3
ATTmail:  !rpw3
DDD:	  (415)572-2607
USPS:	  627 26th Ave, San Mateo, CA  94403