<tab> to space under vi, VI SUMMARY COMING SOON...

Dominic Dunlop domo at riddle.UUCP
Thu Jan 28 05:11:22 AEST 1988

In article <6659 at agate.BERKELEY.EDU> shipley at web5b.berkeley.edu.UUCP (Peter Shipley) writes:
>In article <239 at unicom.UUCP> daniel at unicom.UUCP (Dan "I want to Ski Tam!" Smith) writes:
>}Is there a way to force 'vi' editor to insert appropreiate number of spaces
>}when <tab> key is hit?
>What is wrong with:
>
>       :%!unexpand

[Hope I've managed to preserve correct attributions in paring that down.]

Well, what's wrong with it is that you'd rather vi did the expansion itself
automatically.  But, failing that, if you haven't got unexpand, then

        :%!pr -te

works as well.  But I'd still like to see a more elegant fix.  None has yet
arrived at this machine.  (I did read all received postings before jumping
in, honest.)  In particular, macros which map tab to a fixed nuber of
spaces don't have the desired effect.
--
Dominic Dunlop
domo at sphinx.co.uk  domo at riddle.uucp