UNIX-PC; a bargain?

rupp at cod.UUCP rupp at cod.UUCP
Wed Jul 13 01:41:19 AEST 1988

I received the latest Damark catalog yesterday, and on page 5 is an
interesting add.  A "UNIX-PC" is for sale with the following features:

	*
	*    .......... cost $1498.00 !!!!!!!!!!  ............
	*
	* four programs, Smart Spreadsheet, Smart Word Processor, Smart
	  System (?), and Smart Data Base Management
	* multi-tasking
	* supports up to seven terminals for multiple users
	* 20 Mb internal hard disk
	* 1 Mb RAM
	* 68010 processor
	* 720 x 348 graphics resolution (illustration shows monochrome
	  monitor)
    	* Serial and parallel ports
	* built-in 1200 baud modem
	* connections for 2 telephone lines and third jack for conventional
	  phone
	* "Complete technical support & more software from AT & T."
	* 90 warranty

The illustration shows a mouse (mentioned in the header blurb), a 5 1/4"
drive (I assume), and a detached keyboard.  Next to the  computer in the
picture stand the four binders of the software packages included.
The A.T. & T. logo is shown in an inset in the upper left hand corner
of the illustration, and the ad mentions "UNIX-PC" and "multi-tasking,"
but nowhere is there any detail of the OS included with the system.

Queries:
	1.  Does anyone know anything about this computer?  Which model is
	    it?  Is it a close-out?  etc.
	2.  If you are familiar with this system, do you know if memory
	    expansion, peripherals, good software, compilers, etc., are
	    available?  Also, what about service?
	3.  Is it a good buy at $1498.00?

I would appreciate any information on this offer that you could
provide me.

Bill
Computer Sciences Corp. (at Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego)
rupp at nosc.mil