No subject

PAAAAAR%CALSTATE.BITNET at cunyvm.cuny.edu PAAAAAR%CALSTATE.BITNET at cunyvm.cuny.edu
Sat Jul 16 06:05:40 AEST 1988

Date:     Thu, 14 Jul 88 06:58:26 LCL
Sender:   I-UNIX at TCSVM
Comments:     <Parser> W: Invalid RFC822 field -- "40>;". Rest of header
              flushed.
Comments:     <Parser> E: "From:"/"Sender:" field is missing.
From:     POSTMASTER at TCSVM
To:       PAAAAAR at CCS.CSUSCC.CALSTATE.EDU

I'm looking for pointers to intro Berkley UNIX systems programming books.  All
of the books that I have seen so far are for System V.  Any suggestions would
be welcome.

Ed Stuart (rs3r+ at andrew.cmu.edu)

===== Reply from Richard Botting <PAAAAAR> ===========================

You could do worse than look into "An Intro to BERKELEY UNIX" by Paul
Wang, Pub: Wadsworth, Belmont, CA.
The most relevant chapters being
        6. Writing Shell Scripts
        8. UNIX Programming in C
        9. UNIX System Programming
        11. Program Maintenance  ----actually this should be called 'make'
Also Appendices:
        A.9 System Calls
        A.10. Signals
        A.11 Standard C Library
        A.12. Std IO Library
        A.13 Internetwork Library
Altogether - 12 chapters and 15 (fifteen) appendices, bibliography, Index.
512 pages.

Warning - I haven't used it much since my UNIX is kinda neolythic compared
          to that used in this book.
Dick Botting
PAAAAAR at CCS.CSUSCC.CALSTATE(doc-dick)
paaaaar at calstate.bitnet
PAAAAAR%CALSTATE.BITNET@{depends on the phase of the moon}.EDU
Dept Comp Sci., CSUSB, 5500 State Univ Pkway, San Bernardino CA 92407
Disclaimer: What with my brain, my fingers, this Mac, Red Ryder,
            the PDP and its software, NOS and the CSU CYBERS,
            plus transmission errors, your machine, terminal,
            eyes, and brain,.....
       I probably didn't think what you thought you just read any way!