vi vs emacs in a student enviro

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.UUCP
Thu Jul 14 01:48:21 AEST 1988

In article <8235 at brl-smoke.ARPA>, gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA (Doug Gwyn ) writes:
> In article <1045 at ficc.UUCP> peter at ficc.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
> >There does not exist a decent editor on UNIX, or for that matter any other
> >system I have ever used.
> [followed by a very incomplete description of his ideas for an editor]

Complete enough to implement it, if you're of a mind to. Think "VI with
alt-keys instead of modes".

> "There does not exist" requires either proof or exhaustive investigation.

You're right. I hereby change that to "I have not found a decent editor
on UNIX...".

> Just because neither "vi" nor "EMACS" strikes you as decent does not
> mean that some other editor might not.

True. Haven't found it yet. Closest yet has been "Brief" on the IBM-PC
after excessive quantities of hacking the macros.

> Have you tried the Grand editor (current incarnation of the RAND
> editor)?

No, I tried the Rand editor in a couple of incarnations. Does it still
draw boxes around all your windows? (:-<)

> How about Sam, the most "decent" editor I've ever used?

No, how does it work and how do you get it?
--
-- `-_-' Peter (have you hugged your wolf today) da Silva.
--   U   Ferranti International Controls Corporation.