DWB ownership (was: vi vs emacs in a student environment)

Migration Engineer gph at hpsemc.HP.COM
Wed Jul 6 03:46:17 AEST 1988

Anthony A. Datri writes:

>Let's say I wanted to use TPU.  DEC doesn't provide that on all of it's
>operating systems, so don't get people used to it.  By your argument, they
>should all use TECO.  IBM PC's all come with edlin, so everyone should
>use edlin.

   No one is saying that EVERYONE should USE vi.  The posting just
   said that students should KNOW SOME vi.

>The original EMACS runs on most or all of the pdp-10 os's.  Gosling/Unipress
>emacs runs on:
>They're working on it for the macintosh.

   Okay, as a new UNIX user, I have an opinion.  I work in a center
   where I deal with different customers from week to week.  All I
   can say is that many customers expect me to have some knowledge
   of VI.

   Also, here at HP, there are many people who are EMACS fanatics.
   They humor my absurd desire to know how to get around in VI.

   The funny thing is, if I ask them a VI question, the always know
   the answer.

   I think that many EMACS users are in the enviable position of
   knowing BOTH vi and EMACS, therefore, it is easy for them to
   stand up on their pedestal and tell everyone to learn ONLY EMACS.
   They will never be have to test whether that works in the real
   world.  I have found that not knowing VI in the UNIX world can
   make life harder.

   Obviously, the two KEY editors in UNIXland are VI and EMACS.
   Therefore, either of these editors is probably sufficient to
   get around a little.   Perhaps students should be taught an
   introduction to both and let them make their own decision?

			      - "OK, Flame away.  Just remenber, this
				is a DISCUSSION.  It ain't a religious
				war!"

				gph