Sizes of various editors (was Re: Textedit wars (was vi vs emacs in a student environment))

G. Paul Houtz gph at hpsemc.HP.COM
Wed Jul 13 07:59:27 AEST 1988

sullivan at vsi.UUCP (Michael T Sullivan) writes:

>In article <Jul.8.17.00.31.1988.19561 at topaz.rutgers.edu>, ron at topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) writes:
>>
>> Teach students "ed,"  that way they learn what regular expressions
>> are.  My wife . . .

>Yeah, and why are students using video terminals?  My wife and quite
>a few people I know don't know why delete is 0177 (ascii).  If

     Touche Michael.

     I first learned text editing on an IBM 029 keypunch machine, and
     that is why I  liked programming in assembler (fewer key strokes
     per card).   I wouldn't go back to it now for all the tea in
     China.

     I am new to UNIX and I learned regular expressions, not by using
     ed, but because I had a JOB TO DO that REQUIRED them.  They are
     not really that hard to learn for most tasks.

     No job worth having is going to be denied to a student simply
     because they don't know VI or ED or regular expressions or EMACS.
			 -gph