A better "login"

E Tye McQueen ERICMC at USU.BITNET
Sat Jul 2 09:34:00 AEST 1988

     I am looking for a replacement for the Unix program "login" that would
allow monitoring of failed logins.  Source for a login replacement (with or
without failed login monitoring) would be wonderful (so I can tailor things)
but is not required.  The program should at least be easilly portable across
different flavors of System V (including SCO Xenix).
     Alternatively I could use a good description of what is *everything*
that "login" does so I can write my own.  I know that "login" needs to prompt
for a username and password, verify encrypted password, age the password,
cd to HOME, set group and user IDs, and exec the appropriate shell with the
appropriate arguments.  I suspect it has to set the process group ID and
define some environment variables and quite a few other things I haven't
thought of.
     Any suggestions, cheap or free source code, or pointers to manuals or
other text will be greatly appreciated.  *Please* send replies directly to me
whenever possible and I will summarize.

E Tye McQueen      (801) 753-4683 (753-1610)       I had a good quote but
ericmc at usu.bitnet         P.O. Box 159             I left it at home.
ericmc at cc.usu.edu      Logan, Utah  84321                           - Me
UUCP:  ...{psuvax1,uunet}!{usu.bitnet,cc.usu.edu}!ericmc