Printer Connection Problem (really: how to use stty with lpd)

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.UUCP
Fri Jul 22 07:51:10 AEST 1988

In article <229 at drd.UUCP> mark at drd.UUCP (Mark Lawrence) writes:

>Question:  Is there a convenient way to monitor what is coming back from
>the printer to see if it is issuing any XOFF's so that I may eliminate
>flow control as the source of my problem?  I'd like to verify that the
>tty driver is truly suspending output so that I can go back to the
>printer manufacturer and ask WTFO.

If you make sure that flow control is disabled on the port, you should
be able to see them with a cat -v </dev/tty?? if you have read permission
on the port.  I run a little program that I wrote a while back to collect
SMDR from our phone switch that just dumps all the input from a port into
a file and starts a new file every night.
There can be quite a bit of output from the printer (a timeout
error from every job that doesn't end in ^D for one thing) which may be
confusing your tty port if you have ixany set.  Also be sure that the 890
is set for xon/xoff flow control using the front panel buttons.  I have one
running at 9600 baud on a 3B2 serial port using only xon/xoff. The only
problem I have is with software that sends hardware initialization commands
in the postscript prolog.

  Les