vi vs emacs in a student environment

David Dyer-Bennet ddb at ns.UUCP
Wed Jul 20 04:55:58 AEST 1988

In article <59699 at sun.uucp>, guy at gorodish.Sun.COM (Guy Harris) writes:
> There are people who like "vi", people who like EMACS,
> people who like EDT, people who like "ed", and people who like IBM 029
> keypunches.
  Actually, I preferred the 026.  It had a crisper key feel, and a lighter
action.  :-)

> Can we please choke off the debate now?
  Sure, as long as we all stop at once.  Seriously, I recognize editors
as a religious position.  This means I don't start conversations about
them -- but it also means that, when a conversation is going on and
heretical views are being discussed, I feel a need to express my own
(equally heretical, to many people) views.  I wouldn't want somebody to
be hurt by actually believing that ridiculous posting by <.....> that
suggested that <;;;;;> was a decent editor; people can get HURT using
<;;;;;;>!
  Shutting up, sir!

--
	-- David Dyer-Bennet
	...!{rutgers!dayton | amdahl!ems | uunet!rosevax}!umn-cs!ns!ddb
In article <59699 at sun.uucp>, guy at gorodish.Sun.COM (Guy Harris) writes:
> There are people who like "vi", people who like EMACS,
> people who like EDT, people who like "ed", and people who like IBM 029
> keypunches.
  Actually, I preferred the 026.  It had a crisper key feel, and a lighter
action.  :-)

> Can we please choke off the debate now?
  Sure, as long as we all stop at once.  Seriously, I recognize editors
as a religious position.  This means I don't start conversations about
them -- but it also means that, when a conversation is going on and
heretical views are being discussed, I feel a need to express my own
(equally heretical, to many people) views.  I wouldn't want somebody to
be hurt by actually believing that ridiculous posting by <.....> that
suggested that <;;;;;> was a decent editor; people can get HURT using
<;;;;;;>!
  Shutting up, sir!
  <<The Black Hole>> indeed.  Nice try...