make and RCS. was RCS and SCCS

Roland McGrath mcgrath at rosemary.Berkeley.EDU.berkeley.edu
Tue Jul 5 05:44:52 AEST 1988

["make and RCS. was RCS and SCCS"] - egisin at watmath.waterloo.edu (Eric Gisin):
) > Finally, there is GNU make, which recognizes prefixes as well as suffixes,
) > in a totally new (gnu?) way. I have it but haven't used it yet.
) Both GNU and SUN make have '%' pattern rules.  I think you can say
) 	%: RCS/%,v
) 		co $@
) The % on the LHS matches anything, the % on the RHS is replaced
) with whatever the LH % matched.
) Who invented this?  Could someone try to get P1003.2 to adopt this?

We're not exactly sure who invented it.  I don't know where we got it
from, but it was somewhere.  Their I nor RMS (we wrote GNU Make)
invented it.

You can indeed say that.  In fact it's a default implicit rule.  Also,
because of rule chaining, a feature we invented for GNU Make, you can
say "make foo" with no makefile and get:
	co RCS/foo.c,v foo.c
	cc  foo.c -o foo
	rm -f foo.c
There a ways to tell it not to remove the intermediate file.

Well, enough of hyping GNU Make. :-)

I have not heard of Sun's Make doing anything of the kind.  What
version are you using?

	Roland McGrath

roland at wheaties.ai.mit.edu, mit-eddie!wheaties.ai.mit.edu!roland