Need a basic UNIX manual to learn UNIX usage, etc.

Phil Hughes fyl at ssc.UUCP
Fri Jul 15 03:14:11 AEST 1988

In article <810011 at hpsemc.HP.COM>, gph at hpsemc.HP.COM (G. Paul Houtz) writes:
> (Yaakov Kayman) writes:
>     I don't know of a way to produce a manual from the system online,
>                        I have been using "The UNIX System" by Henry
>     McGilton and Rachel Morgan.

>     I gives enough information about the Bourne shell to get you
>     started, and discusses ed, ex, vi, and regular expressions, and
>     it is easy to find things in.

McGilton and Morgan is one of the best out there for the "technical
beginner".  For the non-technical person we recommend Exploring the
UNIX Environment by Irene Pasternack, published by Bantam.
My opinion is probably biased as Irene is one of the founders of SSC.
The book is based on what Irene learned teaching one of our classes,
UNIX for Non-Technical People.  She was a non-computer person who
complained about how all the books were for nerds so I suggested
she write a book for "real people". She did.  And it was a nice addition
to our line of publications for nerds.

Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX
    uw-beaver!tikal!ssc!fyl or uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl or attmail!ssc!fyl

--
Phil    uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl