Sizes of various editors (was Re: Textedit wars (was vi vs emacs in a student environment))

Bruce G. Barnett barnett at vdsvax.steinmetz.ge.com
Tue Jul 5 20:46:56 AEST 1988

In article <2157 at pt.cs.cmu.edu> ralphw at ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) writes:
|Why cloud the issue by posting meaningless numbers?

I am not clouding an issue. The numbers are far from meaningless.
If you read my article, I said I was using a Sun 3/50 which is limited
to 4 megabytes. Period.  I am the only one using it. Period.

I watch the page fault meter all the time. :-(

|Those windowing libraries still might get loaded under 4.0, but
|chances are they're already loaded if you're using the window
|system.

I realize that emacstool will get smaller with 4.0. But Emacs is STILL
BIG, even without the windowing software compiled into it. If you
assume the Operating system and windowing software takes up 2 Megs,
an editor that takes up 35% of your available memory can cause problems.

Try compiling a large system (like X windows) inside of emacstool & emacs on a
4 Meg Sun. Pick any release of the operating system you like.

|Since these paramters vary wildly from person to person and system to
|system, why should anyone expect anyone else to agree?  Nobody wins
|OS/Processor/Editor wars anymore.

Can't people read anymore? I am not trying to win any war.

I LOVE emacs.

I just wish I had a workstation that wouldn't crumble under the load.

--
	Bruce G. Barnett 	<barnett at ge-crd.ARPA> <barnett at steinmetz.UUCP>
				uunet!steinmetz!barnett