Sun 3 vs uVAXII floating point speed....

Lyle Meier ldm at texhrc.UUCP
Sun Jul 31 09:51:56 AEST 1988

calling conventions, but rather sticks to the vms standard methods. Should
you wish to call a C program from the fortran, you need to write a bridge
routine in something called a jacket building language. This is because the
VAX fortran compiler insists on passing charater variables by descriptor,
by default, and on uppercasing all entry point names. The VAX compilers
behavior is different from the f77 compiler which passed chars in a form
C could understand. Furhter the f77 compiler created entry point names
by lower-casing and appending an underscore, which is what standard bsd
systems do (at least sun and convex do). I have asked dec what they can
do about this and have only goten the response "noted". This makes me
leary of ultrix, since we do a lot of work in fortran.