good passwords

Randy Orrison randy at umn-cs.cs.umn.edu
Sat Jul 23 01:33:13 AEST 1988

In some unknown article cmiller at sunspot.UUCP (Charlie Miller) writes:
|How about leaving a program running on a terminal, say in a student
|terminal room, that mimics the standard login prompt?  Then just file
|away the user name and password...etc.

Our reaction to this in the University of Minnesota Math Dept. computer lab
was to tell students to turn their terminals off when they were done.  Our
nice Tellab box would disconnect them from the computer and when the terminal
was turned back on re-issue the network prompt.  (Guaranteed real)

Of course, the people running programs like the above wouldn't turn their
terminals off, so the consultants went around turning them off in their spare
time.

We did this in response to problems reported in other labs.  Never had any
trouble in our own.

	-randy
--
Randy Orrison, Control Data, Arden Hills, MN
randy at ux.acss.umn.edu	{bungia, uunet!hi-csc, rutgers, sun}!umn-cs!randy