vi vs emacs in a student enviro

rja rja at edison.GE.COM
Thu Jul 14 21:45:17 AEST 1988

In article <1988Jul13.005656.6 at gpu.utcs.toronto.edu>, woods at gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Greg Woods) writes:

> In article <8235 at brl-smoke.ARPA> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
> >In article <1045 at ficc.UUCP> peter at ficc.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:

(stuff quoted by Greg deleted here)

> >In article <1559 at edison.GE.COM> rja at edison.GE.COM (rja) writes:
> >>Here at work we have one version of emacs (ie; microEMACS) running on our
> >
> >And it would be great if each of the vendors mentioned supported that
> >particular delicious flavor of an admittedly great, editor microEMACS.
>
> WHY microEMACS?  (FLAME ON!)

( flames deleted here )
> 						Greg Woods.
>
> UUCP: utgpu!woods, utgpu!{cpcc, ontmoh, ontmoh!cpcc, tmsoft!cpcc}!woods
> VOICE: (416) 242-7572 [h]		LOCATION: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Folks,
  If you look closely at the quoted material above, you will note that I
did not make the extravagant claims about microEMACS which get flamed.
I was quoted by the person who made the claims ( "> >>" versus "> >").
I wish Greg had simply omitted me entirely, but I accept that it probably
was inadvertant to include me in a manner which implied they were my words.

  For the record, I do not claim that microEMACS is "the ultimate editor."
It does do a lot of things fine and is available for lots of machines.
Jove, etc. are fine also.  Editors are religious issues so whatever works
for you....