vi vs emacs in a student environment

Ronald O. Christian ronc at cerebus.UUCP
Thu Jul 14 06:13:18 AEST 1988

In article <5270 at ihlpf.ATT.COM> nevin1 at ihlpf.UUCP (00704a-Liber,N.J.) writes:
>In article <449 at jonlab.UUCP> jon at jonlab.UUCP (Jon H. LaBadie) writes:
>>The same argument is valid for edlin in the MS_DOS world (did I
>>really say that word ;-)?).  You may not prefer edlin, but you
>>should know how to use it.
>
>Since both vi and emacs are available for MS-DOS, there really is no point
>in learning how to use edlin.

Only if you always keep your vi or emacs diskette in your shirt pocket.
If the machine is yours you can run any old editor, if you have to work
on someone else's machine (say, proving your expertise for a job interview)
you'd better be able to use the "stock" tools, because your favorite add-ons
might not exist on that machine.  This also applies to Unix.  As Jon said,
bourne shell and vi are more common in the real world than csh and emacs.
I'm not saying "don't learn emacs", I *am* saying that you may be required
to have a working knowledge of the "stock" tools.

> Always try to get the best tools for the
>job!

If they're available!

				Ron
--

      Ronald O. Christian (Fujitsu America Inc., San Jose, Calif.)
      {amdahl, pyramid, sun, unisoft, uunet}!cerebus!ronc

      Calling all Fujitsu Usenet sites!  Contact cerebus!ronc or
      ronc at fai.com to establish uucp connection.