Sun 3 vs uVAXII floating point speed....

William E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at steinmetz.ge.com
Tue Jul 19 03:59:45 AEST 1988

In article <25065 at ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> ao at cevax.berkeley.edu (Akin Ozselcuk) writes:

| HOW ABOUT FLOATING POINT SPEEDS OF Sun386i vs uVAXII?

  An 11/780 is faster than a MV-II. A Sun3-260 is faster than a 780. I
include some figures I measured, showing actual instructions executed by
a high level language. I include figures from a Dell310 (386/387) simply
as a note of how far power has come in six years.

		U;ltrix 2.0	SunOS 3.2	Xenix/386 2.2.2
test		11/780		3/260		387
		w/ FPA		68881-20	80387-20

short		 302.1		1118.7		1922.1
long		 455.7		1804.2		1837.4
float		 136.7		 395.6		 442.3
double		 180.5		 457.2		 369.6

  All numbers are in a mix, similar to a Gibsom mix, described as
typical in an old IEEE journal. The mix percentages were rounded to the
nearest 5% before weighting. Like all benchmarks, this reveals trends
and small differences are not meaningful.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu at ge-crd.arpa)