Password choices

Dr. Nethack a.k.a Race Bannon todd at uop.edu
Sun Jul 10 21:03:51 AEST 1988

In article <377 at mfgfoc.UUCP>, exodus at mfgfoc.UUCP (Greggie-boy  Onufer) writes:
> And aside from the password choices listed, also commonly used
> are keyboard patterns: qwerty, asdfg, etc.
>
> Please:  DO NOT USE WORDS FOUND IN THE UNIX SYSTEM DICTIONARY.  FOR THAT
> MATTER, PLEASE DO NOT USE REAL WORDS AS FOUND IN ANY DICTIONARY.  I HAVE
> FIRST-HAND KNOWLEDGE OF A USER AT OUR SITE WHO MAILED OUR PASSWORD FILE
> TO A FRIEND, AND, WITHIN A WEEK, RECEIVED A LIST OF ALL THE PASSWORDS THAT
> WERE REASONABLE!!!!

Get it right, it was turnaround in 2 days tops!

> Commosense helps: use at least one digit, mix upper and lower case
> if your system allows you to.  A digit in the middle of the word will
> effectively foul up any brute force dictionary-type search.

With mods, will run on metacharacters as well.
You are just nervous that someone else might get into your files!!

I wonder why??  (another story)

Besides.. getting root here takes no longer than 5 minutes, if you know how.

> Disclaimer:  I disclaim.

Disclaimer: this was'nt me!

> exodus at mfgfoc ...!sun!daver!mfgfoc!exodus  (and postmaster/exodus at uop.edu)
> AT&T: 415-965-0604	USMAIL: #901 1929 Crisanto Ave, Mtn View, CA 94040

I guess you are happy, you are in mountain view now!