TeX->nroff Conversion Package

Beverly Erlebacher erlebach at csri.toronto.edu
Fri Jul 1 08:34:11 AEST 1988

In article <1255 at maccs.UUCP> dan at maccs.UUCP (Dan Trottier) writes:
>In article <11945 at mimsy.UUCP> chris at mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
>>In article <16150 at brl-adm.ARPA>JPLILER at simtel20.arpa (John R. Pliler) writes:>>>... I am looking for a conversion package to convert TeX documents into
>>>nroff format.
>
>>I would say that it cannot be done, except that nroff and TeX both
>>contain programming languages.  Certainly it is not easy (even the
>>other direction is quite difficult).
>
>Actually it can be done and has been done. Someone at the University of
>Toronto has done an excellent job.

Thank you for these kind words.  My program, texi2roff, solves a smaller
problem than full TeX to troff conversion. It will convert documents using
the Texinfo macro package to be printable with nroff or troff, using -ms.
Many GNU documents use Texinfo, and texi2roff makes them readable for those
who do not have access to TeX.

>Hopefully it will be available in the near future to everyone.

I've intended from the start to submit it to comp.sources.unix.
I use some -ms macros, but as much as possible avoid macros and emit
raw commands. Not everyone has -ms, and the mixture of raw commands
and macros causes some problems. I'd like write a small macro package
for it, but I dont know troff well enough to do this easily, and
I'm very short of time these days.

>[So please don't send me mail asking for it! ]

I may post it as is, since it is in quite usable condition.

If anyone needs it right now, like JPLILER at simtel20.arpa, write to me.

Beverly Erlebacher      ...uunet!utai!utcsri!erlebach
                            erlebach at csri.toronto.edu