Using exit in a Bourne shell script

GOOG ?? goog at a.cs.okstate.edu
Wed Jul 20 06:15:25 AEST 1988

In article <16540 at brl-adm.ARPA> you write:
>I often hit a CTRL-D at my top-level shell and get logged
>off when I really did not want to log off -- I thought that I was under
>my message-reading program, for example, and wanted to get back to it.
>I had thought at first that I
>could do something with stty "eof" or suchlike settings that could make
>my actual logoff character someting other than CTRL-D, so I could use
>that to kill subshells, but not my top-level shell, but I've been told
>that won't work.

I had this problem also, and to combat it I put a line in my .login (not
.logout...) that states:

set ignoreeof

and that does it.  It will allow you to use Ctrl-D from anywhere to quit things
but not to logout.  It forces you to type the word logout to logout.

I hope this is what you were wanting.

Steve Koinm				Internet:  goog at a.cs.okstate.edu
Systems Administrator				steve at nemo.math.okstate.edu
Department of Mathematics
Oklahoma State University		UUCP: rutgers!okstate!goog
Stillwater, OK  74078