Rn on a V.3 machine

Joe Bob Willie haugj at pigs.UUCP
Sat Jul 2 03:56:18 AEST 1988

In article <4 at isg300.UUCP> jsh0 at isg300 (J. Steven Harrison) writes:
>It seems that in the file util.c getwd only works for root on the root
>partition (drive 1) without getting the error "getwd:  read error in ..".
>If run as root from the second drive as root you get the same error and
>if run as any user on the system (that doesn't have uid=0) the same error
>also results.
>
>Has anyone already solved this problem??  We are running on AT&T 3B2 600's,
>700's and a 4000.
>--
>Steven Harrison

the trouble seems to be with incompatibilities between the libndir
code which rn was written to use, and the libndir code on USG Unix.

i have doug gywn's posix compatible routines here and rn doesn't
work with them.  the fix was to not use 8-( the libraries and have
getwd() pipe the results of pwd into a buffer.

this has worked since i am now using rn to read news here, as
opposed to vnews which i was using last week.

- john.
--
 Joe Bob Willie                                             Big "D" Oil and Gas
 UUCP: ...!killer!rpp386!jfh                            jfh at rpp386.uucp :DOMAIN