NFS/YP alternative

chris at mimsy.UUCP chris at mimsy.UUCP
Fri Jul 1 18:07:10 AEST 1988

In article <580 at n8emr.UUCP> lwv at n8emr.UUCP (Larry W. Virden) writes:
>... First, can anyone explain why Yellow Pages requires
>the files served to be in a DBM format?

YP is a distributed database.  (I have no idea whether Sun admits it,
but that it is, if a limited one.)  Before you can have a distributed
database, you have to have a database.  DBM format was there.  (Using
it, especially unmodified, was probably a bad idea, but that is a
different diatribe :-) .)