vi vs emacs in a student enviro

PAAAAAR%CALSTATE.BITNET at cunyvm.cuny.edu PAAAAAR%CALSTATE.BITNET at cunyvm.cuny.edu
Wed Jul 13 23:11:12 AEST 1988

Having started editting on punched paper tape in the 1960's and
seeming to have learnt one new editor every year since then.....(*SCREAM*)
Ah - that's better.

OK. Seriously.

Some people have mentioned the necessity of learning about 'ed'. I concur
 (1) it handles larger files on our system than the other editors
 (2) it is a neat tool for daemonic processes to use to alter files
 (3) it is an online introduction to regular expressions (sed,grep,awk..)

For the last three quarters I have let my Systems Programming class loose
to explore UNIX.  Most have had experience of other systems (PC, micro, mini,
mainframe). Some have already used EMACS. None have met 'vi/ex/ed' prior
to the class.  Their task is to boldly go where...(oops) is to teach themselves
how to use UNIX. They buy two "Nutshell" books - "learning the UNIX System"
and "Learning the Vi Editor".  I give no lectures and only a few demos
in class but they have full access to both the BSD UNIX documentation
and some other cheat sheets, help files, introductions online.
They are also encouraged to A.S.K. (Allways Seek Knowledge) via the
Mail command eiother to myself or to a group of 'gurus'.

Their task is to use the system to mail 10 weekly reports to the lecturer
Each report includes a list of one command's plus, minus
and interesting points.  I make it clear to the class that I don't grade them
down for having and expressing strong opinions - only on matters of fact.

I therefore have about 400 reports on UNIX commands. These are on tape
so if anyone really wants them I can sumarize and anonomize them - but
this will be a lot of work...

I observe the following patterns:
They all learnt to use 'vi' with NO training (!).
25% get trapped in 'vi' at least once, 10% twice, 1% 4 times and have to
   be killed by a passing superuser.
Nobody has flamed as much as  I can about 'vi' (yet).
Nobody has said enything about jove(the local EMACS thing), ed, ex...

My conclusion is that 'vi' is a feasible editor for  students.

I use 6 or 7 different editors on 4 or 5 machines every day.
All the ones I know including the three or four I have designed and
implemented are pretty evil in one way or another and I have had it up to
here with memorizing yet more abitrary commands and control sequences.....

I, personally, never want to learn another editor in my life.
Dick Botting
PAAAAAR at CCS.CSUSCC.CALSTATE(doc-dick)
paaaaar at calstate.bitnet
PAAAAAR%CALSTATE.BITNET@{depends on the phase of the moon}.EDU
Dept Comp Sci., CSUSB, 5500 State Univ Pkway, San Bernardino CA 92407
Disclaimer: What with my brain, my fingers, this Mac, the PDP, the CSU CYBERS
            Transmission errors, your machine, terminal eyes and brain..
            I probably didn't think what you thought you just read any way!