RCS

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Sun Jul 3 09:33:40 AEST 1988

In article <23585 at teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA> mkhaw at teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA
(Mike Khaw) writes:
>1.2
>log
>@can't embed Log in shell script (no syntax for multiline comments)
>@

It is true that the shells do not have true multiline comments, but
that should not stop you from including the $Log$ keyword in an RCS
file.  RCS knows how to prefix log messages with strings; if the
`comment leader' RCS chooses is incorrect, you can set it directly
with the `rcs' command.  Even if that were not the case, one could
write, e.g.,

	: << \eof
	$Log$
	eof			(`\eof' in csh)

although this is a kludge.

[light camping stove]
That said, I still think putting log messages in source files is wrong.
The log messages (in SCCS, delta messages) belong in the RCS file.
[put out camping stove]
We now return you to your regularly scheduled flamage.