vi vs emacs in a student environment

thad at cup.portal.com thad at cup.portal.com
Sat Jul 2 17:44:40 AEST 1988

Throwing in my $.02 worth ...

EMACS (and variants) is available for nearly every machine of interest
(except my C64! :-)

Systems I use regularly (which have EMACS and clones thereof) include:
TOPS-20, VAX/VMS, VAX 4.3BSD, UNIX PC 3B1, Amiga, IBM PC, etc etc.

Considering the value of MY time to ME, I cannot afford to learn a new
editor on every system I need to use, or struggle with a different "mindset"
of editor commands multiple times a day.

Software is cheap; people are expensive; the goal is productivity.  If I'm
able to complete work faster 'cause I'm using a familiar editor, I then have
more time to do the fun things in life.