Need a basic UNIX manual to learn UNIX usage, etc.

sirius at cup.portal.com sirius at cup.portal.com
Wed Jul 13 10:46:45 AEST 1988

In Article: <1412YZKCU at CUNYVM> YZKCO at CUNYVM.CUNNY.EDU  Writes:
>   1) give a newcomer a good overview of UNIX, and
>
>   2) enable a newcomer to start using the UNIX commands
>      intelligently.

   A good book to try is "UNIX(tm) user's handbook" from Weber Systems,
Inc. Staff for $16.95.  It's nothing TOO great, but it is really good to get
you started.  It gets fairly in-depth with most of the commands you will
use a lot, and spends a good bit of time talking about the editors.
(2 chapters, one on ed & one on vi).
   I found it fairly comprehensive, and took me a while to "outgrow".

\___  | |___/ | |   | \___     |  "Jes cuz um uh Mo-Ron  |
    \ | |  \  | |   |     \    |  Don't meen um Stu-Pid" |

{ucbvax!sun,uunet!portal}!cup.portal.com!sirius
BITNET: sirius%cup.portal.com at sun.com