vi vs emacs in a student environment

Michael T Sullivan sullivan at vsi.UUCP
Fri Jul 8 01:06:45 AEST 1988

In article <Jul.5.19.00.16.1988.26508 at topaz.rutgers.edu>, ron at topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) writes:
> wide computer center for the State University.  In each environment, the
> editor of preference was EMACS.  Demonstrating a proficiency in vi shows little
> to me as the the candidate's qualifications and lends me to believe that
> the applicant is a candy-assed 3B2 luser.
>
> Even died-in-the-wool Doug Gwyn prefers using a real editor to "vi."

The original posting wasn't about what editor people preferred.  It was
about what editor should be taught students.  To work with Unix you have
to know vi.  Whether you end up using Emacs or Sun's editor isn't important.
Emacs may be fine in your development environment, but if you're doing
work for businesses and they have a problem with their system, you better
know vi because they sure aren't going to have Emacs.  Not everybody
works in a swell development environment all the time.

But then again, what do I know.  I'm just a "candy-assed 3B2 luser (sic)".
Not by choice, though.

--
Michael Sullivan			{uunet|attmail}!vsi!sullivan
V-Systems, Inc.  Santa Ana, CA		sullivan at vsi.com
ons, workstations, workstations, workstations, workstations, workstations, work