emacs vs vi

Ronald O. Christian ronc at cerebus.UUCP
Thu Jul 14 06:21:13 AEST 1988

In article <422 at ns.ns.com> ddb at ns.ns.com (David Dyer-Bennet) writes:
>  Try this, composed on the spot:
>
>To invoke editor on a file: emacs <filename>
>To save the file: ^X^S
>To exit without saving: ^X^C
>Cursor keys move you around.  Typing inserts the characters typed.  Delete
>deletes the character to the left of the cursor.
>To delete from current position to end of line: ^K
>To go to beginning of line: ^A  To end of line: ^E
>Backspace invokes help.

Putting on my novice user hat for a minute:

I tried the above and when I tried to save the file the screen froze.
I had to turn the terminal off and back on to restore control, and
then I couldn't tell where I was on the screen.  I tried repeatedly
to save the file, and each time ran into the same problem.  I finally
had to exit without saving.  (That worked.) What a dumb editor.  I'm
going back to vi.

Taking off my novice user hat now.  (Chee, that thing fits too tight!)

David, I think you'd have to add some to your instructions.

				Ron
--

      Ronald O. Christian (Fujitsu America Inc., San Jose, Calif.)
      {amdahl, pyramid, sun, unisoft, uunet}!cerebus!ronc

      Calling all Fujitsu Usenet sites!  Contact cerebus!ronc or
      ronc at fai.com to establish uucp connection.