make and RCS. was RCS and SCCS

Eric Gisin egisin at watmath.waterloo.edu
Mon Jul 4 04:11:31 AEST 1988

In article <16366 at brl-adm.ARPA>, rbj at cmr.icst.nbs.gov writes:
> It is rumored that some people (ok, I give, U of Md. among others) have
> hacked make to understand RCS, altho to what level , I don't know.
> Maybe someone with initials ACT will clear this up. :-)
You don't have to (shouldn't) "hack up" make to do this, see below.

> Finally, there is GNU make, which recognizes prefixes as well as suffixes,
> in a totally new (gnu?) way. I have it but haven't used it yet.

Both GNU and SUN make have '%' pattern rules.  I think you can say
	%: RCS/%,v
		co $@
The % on the LHS matches anything, the % on the RHS is replaced
with whatever the LH % matched.
Who invented this?  Could someone try to get P1003.2 to adopt this?