Security from outside call-ins

Don Cox root at scotty.UUCP
Mon Jul 18 23:03:05 AEST 1988

I am on a Sun 3/260 running SunOS3.5.  Plugged into Serial Port A
I have a Microcom AX/2400 modem.  Some of the users at my site are
so dedicated that they actually want to be able to do some work
while they are home by way of calling in on their modems! (Can
you believe it?)

Here's the question:  They (the users) have told me of other
systems they have been on (I believe Vax's) where they were
prompted to enter a system password before they were even asked for
thier own.  This could be some cryptic type of combination of
letters and numbers, making it almost impossible for the average
hacker to break. Anyone have ideas on how I could incorporate this
into my passwd file, but only having it prompt those who are dialing
in on the modem?  This could get to be a real pain if they had to
respond to another password everytime they logged in from a work-
station here at work.

Then, once the caller successfully types in the system password,
they would still have to enter their own password.  Is such a
thing possible?  Thanks.