More categories for aliases (was Re: something or other)

Mike Khaw mkhaw at teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA
Thu Jun 2 07:23:08 AEST 1988

>>"-f" is NOT a default for rm.
>
>    It is on our system (which runs Ultrix 2.0). Actually, from what I've heard
> on the net, "-f" is indeed the default for rm on most Unix-based systems. At

On Ultrix 2.2, "-f" is most certainly NOT the default (neither is "-i").  The
difference between -f and the default is that in the default case, "rm" will
ask "OK to override mode xxx" (or something like that) if you don't have write
permission for the file in question, whereas "rm -f" doesn't do that check.

Mike Khaw
internet: mkhaw at teknowledge.arpa
uucp:	  {uunet|sun|ucbvax|decwrl|uw-beaver}!mkhaw%teknowledge-vaxc.arpa
hardcopy: Teknowledge Inc, 1850 Embarcadero Rd, POB 10119, Palo Alto, CA 94303