Is a NEED for more COMMERCIAL usenet feed providers?

Greg Corson milo at ndmath.UUCP
Mon Jun 27 02:27:01 AEST 1988

A fairly simple question...I've been noticing that usenet mail/news feeds
are getting harder and harder to get lately because of the mounting number
of machines that want onto the net.

Do you think there is a NEED for another system which can provide usenet
feeds and mail feeds for a FEE to people who couldn't get them otherwise?
I am in a position where I could probably organize such a system if anyone
would be interested in using it.  If it was setup the system would probably
be accessable through Telenet, Tymnet (or something like it) by a local
call in most cities.  This might turn out to be a cheaper way of getting
a feed than calling some other network site long distance.

The fees would probably be somewhere around $5 per hour for however much time
it takes to feed your computer all the newsgroups you want. (subject to change,
I haven't looked into the costs too much yet).  Services provided would
be limited to UUCP-mail and USENET feeds.  Note that this would NOT be
login-and-read/send-mail/news...it would be UUCP access to feed mail/news
to YOUR computer...nothing more.

Please let me know if you think this sort of service is something you (or
someone you know) could use, if there is enough demand I'l see if I can
organize something.  Please don't flame me about advertising on the net,
remember that for MANY people who get feeds by long distance this could
be a REAL money saver...and I don't expect to make much money off it in any
case.

Please reply by usenet mail, US mail or phone as I don't get on the net
often enough to avoid missing things posted to news.

Greg Corson
19141 Summers Drive
South Bend, IN 46637
(219) 277-5306 (weekdays till 6 PM eastern)
{pur-ee,rutgers,uunet}!iuvax!ndmath!milo