Rename bug?

Guy Harris guy at gorodish.Sun.COM
Fri Jun 3 04:31:44 AEST 1988

> 	apollo:	Sun-3 running Sunix 3.5
> 	    (not an Apollo machine, but a Sun called "apollo")
> 	ra: another Sun-3 also running Sunix 3.5
> 	larry: VAX 750 running mtXinu 4.3+NFS
> 	curly: MicroVAX-II running Berkeley 4.3, with my NFS server
>
> Apollo:
>     Local filesystem: rename fails, errno is set to -1 (!).

Bug, fixed in 4.0.

> Yet more reason not to use NFS: implementations of it tend to be
> broken.  In this case it's even worse: the breakage shows even when NFS
> is not in use!

Umm, in the SunOS 3.5 case, the conclusion that it's an NFS bug cannot be drawn
from the evidence.  Calling an NFS problem, given that it shows up "even when
NFS is not in use", is a bit silly.  In fact, it was a bug in the *UFS* code,
and had nothing whatsoever to do with NFS.  The bug was introduced by a bug fix
to what is, I suspect, the bug you saw in the Mt. Xinu system, where
rename("foo", "foo") causes "foo" to disappear.  If this is the case with the
Mt. Xinu system, it's another UFS bug, not an NFS bug.