DEC does NOT have an SVID OS

Roger J. Noe rjnoe at uniq.UUCP
Sat Jun 25 01:09:56 AEST 1988

In article <8143 at brl-smoke.ARPA>, gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA (Doug Gwyn ) writes:
> In article <10470 at mcdchg.UUCP> heiby at mcdchg.UUCP (Ron Heiby) writes:
> >I have it on good authority that DEC now has System V Release 3 in their
> >price book.
>
> I've heard rumors like this before.  Whether or not it's true,
> there is a company named UNIQ that markets UNIX System V Release 3
> and support for DEC VAX.  They advertise in some of the UNIX trade
> journals.

I don't really want to "advertise" but I do want to make it clear that
this is factual and not a rumor.  Uniq Digital Technologies, Inc. (address
is 28 South Water Street, Batavia, IL  60510 USA; I think there's still a
toll-free number in the U.S., 1-800-DEC-UNIX, or 1-312-879-1566 if you
can't use the 800 number) ported the AT&T UNIX System V Release 3 source
code to the DEC VAX line, including the MicroVAXen, the 7XX machines,
and the 8XXX series.  This is first-hand information, so there's no
possibility of misunderstanding here.  Uniq also picked up support for
VAXen running AT&T System V Release 2 (in its various versions) after
AT&T discontinued its support.

Anyone desiring more information should contact Uniq directly.  Please
do not send me e-mail; I will not be available to respond in most cases.

UNIX is a registered trademark of AT&T.
DEC, VAX, and MicroVAX are trademarks of Digital Equipment Corporation.
VAXen and MicroVAXen are plurals that DEC may not like but will just have
to tolerate anyway.  So what's the plural of UNIX?  Unices?
--
"A unique feat of engineering; I designed it myself."
	Roger Noe			...!att!uniq!rjnoe