Network (ftp) access to ms-dos hard disks ??

Jack F. Vogel jack at turnkey.TCC.COM
Fri Jun 10 04:26:56 AEST 1988

In article <179 at focsys.UUCP> larry at focsys.UUCP (Larry Williamson) writes:

>    I need to know if it is possible to access the hard disks on a
>ms-dos machine that is on a network of Unix and msdos machines.  The
>dos disk is to be accessed while the dos machine is busy with other
>work.  The dos machine is running a dedicated application (that we
>wrote).

[...details omitted....]

First off you do not say just what sort of network it is you are using.
Assuming it is ethernet I have a few suggestions. If you use something
like Desqview or DoubleDos on the Dos machine you should be able to
both run your dedicated application and a tcp/ip package concurrently.
You might consider looking into the KA9Q tcp package, it is limited but
is functional and public domain, it has support for ethernet (3com), point
to point async. or various packet radio setups (which I don't think would
be relevant here). The source and pc-dos objects are available on turnkey.
The source has a makefile for SysV and BSD as well. We have successfully
compiled and used it between an SCO Xenix system and DOS system using
point-to-point async.

What I would suggest as a scenario is this. You run one of the above-mentioned
so-called DOS multitasking packages, then with the KA9Q package running as
one task the system would accept ftp put's of data whenever you desired. On
the UNIX side you could have cron set up to check for data and then do an
automatic ftp to the DOS system whenever necessary. I suspect this would work
out nicely for you, as well as being very inexpensive. Send me some email if
you have further questions or need more detail.

turnkey has an anonymous uucp account if you wish to obtain the archive
mentioned. Login as nuucp, no password; ph# (714)662-7450 request the file:
		/usr/spool/uucppublic/files
and you should be on your way. Let me know of your success.

					Best of luck,

--
Jack F. Vogel
Turnkey Computer Consultants, Costa Mesa, CA