vi vs emacs in a student environment

Larry McVoy lm at arizona.edu
Thu Jun 30 11:22:57 AEST 1988

In article <11418 at steinmetz.ge.com> davidsen at crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>In article <399 at cantuar.UUCP> paul at cantuar.UUCP (P. Ashton) writes:
>| We are in the middle of deciding which editor to teach students next
>| year, and are looking at vi and emacs. We have a couple of questions

As a consultant I'll volunteer the following advice:  don't get people used to
emacs.  Please.  Why?  Because emacs is available on "some" unix machines.
Vi is available on almost all unix machines.  Old habits die hard, so I think
it's better to start people out with something they can stay with...
--
Larry McVoy	laidbak!lm at sun.com	1-800-LAI-UNIX x286