Bliss Compiler wanted

Steve Simmons simmons at applga.uucp
Sat Jun 25 00:36:01 AEST 1988

In article <315 at gt-eedsp.UUCP> jensen at gt-eedsp.UUCP (P. Allen Jensen) writes:

>Is the CMU Bliss the same as the BLISS used by DEC ?

In '83 I was supporting some BLISS-10 utilities at ADP Network Services.
We ran into bugs in the DEC BLISS-10 compiler which DEC wouldn't fix.  We
had source, which was full of CMU names.  I went to CM to see if theirs
was PD, and if so, could we get it.  On doing some comparison, we found
that the DEC BLISS-10 compiler was absolutely identical to the CMU except
for a few bug fixes CMU had done since DEC picked it up.

About this time DEC came out with the BLISS-16, BLISS-32, and BLISS-36
compilers to be their "standard systems development language".  They
wanted a ludicrous amount of money for BLISS-36.  We ordered an evaluation
copy, and found it was absolutely identical to BLISS-10.  Same checksum.
And same support categore.  I forget the name, but it meant "We will
accept bug reports.  But we will take no action."

That's the way it was in '83.

Needless to say, we didn't buy BLISS-36.  If you can get BLISS from CMU
and you have a PDP-10 machine, do it.
--
+- Steve Simmons            UNIX Systems Mgr.         Schlumberger CAD/CAM -+
+  simmons at applga.uucp                              ...umix!applga!simmons  +