.mailrc

Randall W. Robinson rrobinson at ames.arc.nasa.gov
Thu Jun 16 08:54:08 AEST 1988

in article <697 at fxgrp.UUCP>, ljz at fxgrp.UUCP (Lloyd Zusman) says:

> In article <10371 at ames.arc.nasa.gov> rrobinson at ames.arc.nasa.gov (Randall W. Robinson) writes:
>   in article <4097 at fluke.COM>, strong at tc.fluke.COM (Norm Strong) says:
>   >
... and so on ad infinitum

> Nope.  Sorry, but this does *not* do it in any of the [mM]ail programs
> I've ever run.  All that does is tell the mail program that when you
> type "~e", you should get put into /usr/bin/vi to edit your mail message.
>
> Upon closer reading of the original question, you can see that Mr.
> Robinson was asking how he can automatically get put into 'vi' WITHOUT
> having to type "~v" (or "~e", I presume).  As far as I know, there is
> no way to do this in any of the [mM]ail programs I've seen.  I once
> hacked up a private version of Mail to do this exact thing, but I was
> at a site that had a BSD source license and I unfortunately was not
> allowed to take my source code with me when I left.

>   Lloyd Zusman                          UUCP:   ...!ames!fxgrp!ljz

Hmmmm.... Ok,  on both the system here at work and my system at
home the EDITOR var sets the default editor for most of the
operations on these systems.  This may not be the case for all
systems or programs.  The standard mailers on systems really is
one of the exceptions.  If there is another  mailer added to the
system (ie. elm) then it would be picked up by the mailer going
in.

- Lloyd, you might want to reread the the posting.  I, "Mr.
Robinson", did not post the question, I only responed to Norm
Strong's posting.

-- Randy

rrobinson at ames.arc.nasa.gov