Questions on CURSES by Pavel Curtis 1982

Michael Greim greim at sbsvax.UUCP
Fri Jun 24 02:42:57 AEST 1988

Hello,
This are again some questions concerning copyright and concerning CURSES.
(Remember, I posted such a question some months ago. Thanks to all
who answered me)
We have received the source of a package called CURSES, which
seems to be a total rewrite of the original (and well loathed)
Berkeley or AT&T CURSES. The author, Pavel Curtis, states in the
headers of the files, that

	This software is copyright (C) 1982 by Pavel Curtis

	Permission is granted to reproduce and distribute
	this file by any means so long as no fee is charged
	above a nominal handling fee and so long as this
	notice is always included in the copies.

	Other rights are reserved except as explicitly granted
	by written permission of the author.

My questions are
1.) Has the status of this software changed since 1982, i.e. is
	it still in the public domain?
2.) Where can I reach Pavel Curtis to ask him for the right to modify
	his source and include his software in any program ?
3.) Why do people use old CURSES with its lots of bugs and inefficiencies, if
	this one is superior, as it seems to be?

Thanks for any answer,
		Michael

PS : I will summarize to the net.

| UUCP:  ...!uunet!unido!sbsvax!greim   | Michael T. Greim                     |
|        or greim at sbsvax.UUCP           | Universitaet des Saarlandes          |
| CSNET: greim%sbsvax.uucp at Germany.CSnet| FB 10 - Informatik (Dept. of CS)     |
| ARPA:  greim%sbsvax.uucp at uunet.UU.NET | Bau 36, Im Stadtwald 15              |
| Phone: +49 681 302 2434               | D-6600 Saarbruecken 11, West Germany |