AT&T vs. CSS (PC/Tools)

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Wed Jun 15 12:43:58 AEST 1988

In article <308 at marob.MASA.COM> samperi at marob.UUCP (Dominick Samperi) writes:
>if I develop tools that have the same (or more)
>functionality as some of the standard UNIX tools (ls, rm, cpio, tar, etc.),
>then can I use the same program names? And if not, can I use the word "UNIX"
>in describing the functionality of the tools?

Since none of the names "ls", "rm", etc. are trademarks, you may use them.
"UNIX" is a registered trademark of AT&T, so you have to be careful how
you use it.  You should not apply the appellation "UNIX" to your own
products, unless AT&T has granted you permission to do so.  If you wish to
advertise them as "upward-compatible with UNIX* version NN tools", with a
footnote stating the trademark status of "UNIX", then I don't think there
is anything AT&T can do about it.

Since I'm not a lawyer you should verify this before acting on it.