Core files ...

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Tue Jun 14 13:31:03 AEST 1988

In article <790 at scubed.UUCP> warner at scubed.UUCP (Ken Warner) writes:
>Is there a way to run a core file?

It cannot be done portably, but with certain restrictions, it can
almost always be done.

>I know most Lisp implementations allow you to save an image.  Would anyone
>know have any insight into how that is done?  I'm on a Sun under OS 3.5

Franz does it unportably: it writes its text image, then its data.  It
puts an appropriate executable header on the front, and adds a symbol
table.  When it starts up it checks to see if it was doing something
special before.

Note that file descriptors are generally lost, and that saving the
environment is sometimes wrong.  Generally, the best way to save state
is to save the important stuff instead of blindly writing everything.