grep replacement

Ozan Yigit oz at yunexus.UUCP
Wed Jun 8 04:24:45 AEST 1988

In article <7939 at alice.UUCP> andrew at alice.UUCP writes:

>many people have written about patterns matching multiple lines.
>grep will not do this. if you really need this, use sam by rob pike
>as described in the nov 1987 software practice and experience.

	Why should this not be done by grep ??? I think Rob Pike's
	"Structured Expressions" is the way to go for a modern grep,
	where newline spanning is supported, and the program does
	not die unexpectedly just because a file contains a line too
	long for a stupid internal "line size". (For an insightful
	discussion of this, interested readers could check out Rob's
	paper in EUUG proceedings.)

oz
--
The deathstar rotated slowly,	      |  Usenet: ...!utzoo!yunexus!oz
towards its target, and sparked       |  ....!uunet!mnetor!yunexus!oz