cpio/afio writing directories?

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.UUCP
Tue Jun 7 00:09:38 AEST 1988

In article <478 at galaxia.zone1.com> dave at galaxia.zone1.com (David H. Brierley) writes:
>On my 3B1,which up until now I had assumed was using the standard SV utilities,
>the cpio program has an upper-case R option which is described as follows:
>
>"Allow file and directories with absolute path names to be redirected on input
>to the current directory by removing the leading / from the path name."

The 3B1 is pretty far from having standard SV utilities as you might guess
from looking at the first 20 pages of the user's manual vol II which consist
of things that are different from normal SysV. Here's what it says about cpio:

cpio(1)  The K, R, O, J, and x options are not available in System V Release 2.

The manual for the AT&T 6386 SVr3.1 shows a few new options, but -R (or similar
functionality) is not among them.

 Les Mikesell