Rename bug?

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.UUCP
Sun Jun 5 14:29:09 AEST 1988

In article <-64039385 at sneaky> gordon at sneaky.UUCP writes:
>There is a time when no file by the destination filename exists (using
>the unlink/link/unlink method).
>
>Suppose you have a file, say, /etc/passwd.  You make a copy of it,
>/etc/passwd.new, and edit it.

Excellent example.  A few years ago I was at an AT&T shell programming
class and the twenty or so people in the class all signed in and
changed their password at the same time.  It managed to crash the
3b20 they were using for the classrooms.  Since I had recently been
exposed to a sales pitch about the reliability of the 3b20, I thought
it was kind of amusing.

  Les Mikesell