Why bugs don't get fixed

Doug Gwyn gwyn at brl-smoke.ARPA
Tue Jun 7 19:12:01 AEST 1988

In article <694 at flatline.UUCP> erict at flatline.UUCP (j. eric townsend) writes:
>HAHAHAHAHAHAHA... I guess that makes only really increadibly huge
>companies "responsible software organizations"..  I've never understood
>how smaller companies could do the full QC required by common sense.

For your information, the trouble reporting system I set up was at
a small company, less than 100 employees and around 4 to 6 on the
software development staff.  And our company president was probably
as flaky as yours.  I don't see how we could have survived NOT doing
an adequate job of customer support and quality control.

This isn't the place to discuss business ethics, but basically if
you do stupid things merely because management tells you to, you
must not have much confidence in your competence.  If there are
genuinely good reasons for some course of action, explain it to
your technical management.  If they act truly irrationally, get a
job elsewhere.