How do I use ksh TMOUT on 5.2

Ian Kluft kluft at hpcupt1.HP.COM
Fri Jun 10 05:03:54 AEST 1988

> / txr98 at wash08.UUCP (Timothy Reed) /  3:29 pm  Jun  7, 1988 /
> hopefully easy question: how  do I access the  TMOUT variable to zap  an
> idle user.  Ideally I'd  like to trap it in  a user's login shell.   MKS
> doc indicates  that TMOUT's  sends  a SIGALRM,  but  ksh does  not  seem
> recognize such a signal on the unix 5.2  system I am running ksh on.   I
> manually set TMOUT to '1', and got a 'shell timeout in 60 seconds'  with
> every tap of the return key!
> Thanks in advance...
> +-------------------------------------------------------+
> | Timothy Reed - American Chemical Society              |
> | UUCP:   ..uunet!wash08!txr98                          |
> ... etc.

If you want everyone on your system to have their KSH time out after, say,
5 minutes, set TMOUT in the /etc/profile to 5*60 seconds or 300.  This
would be the line you'd add to /etc/profile:

TMOUT=300; export  TMOUT; readonly TMOUT

With the readonly on there, the users cannot change or unset it in their
login shell.

Ian Kluft		HP Network Systems Group
hplabs!hprasor!kluft	Cupertino, CA